Friday, October 1, 2010

Chili-Rubbed Tilapia with Asparagus & Lemon

I went for my yearly check up and found out my triglycerides were up.  The doctor put me on a low carb, low sugar diet for the next two months.  So I've been searching the internet for some good low carb recipes.  If you have any, please share them with me.  I found this delicious tilapia and asparagus recipe at www.kitchendaily.com and it is one of the best tilapia recipes I have ever made.  I don't even like spicy foods, but I loved this.  Of course, my son-in-law says it's not spicy, but it is to me.  Spicy or not, it is out of the world!

Chili-Rubbed Tilapia with Asparagus & Lemon

2 pounds asparagus, tough ends trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces (I left mine whole)
2 Tablespoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
1 pound tilapia, Pacific sole or other firm white fish fillets
2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3 Tablespoons lemon juice

Bring 1 inch of water to a boil in a large saucepan.  Put asparagus in a steamer basket,place in the pan, cover and steam until tender-crisp, about 4 minutes.  (I didn't have steamer basket so I just put asparagus in the boiling water.)  Transfer to a large plate, spreading out to cool.

Combine chili powder, garlic powder and 1/4 teaspoon salt on a plate.  Dredge fillets in the spice mixture to coat.  heat oil in a large non stick skillet over medium-high heat.  Add the fish and cook until just opaque in the center, gently turning halfway, 5 - 7 minutes total.  Remove tilapia when done to a plate.  Immediately add lemon juice, the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and asparagus to the pan and cook, stirring constantly, until the asparagus is coated and heated through, about 2 minutes (I covered the pan while they cooked).  Serve the asparagus with the fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment