Monday, May 31, 2010

Dora's Delicious Spaghetti Sauce


I have one more recipe from my sister that I want to share.  Her mother-in-law, Dora, makes a delicious spaghetti sauce.  My sister, Cathy, will make this when I come to visit.  Everyone loves it.  Unfortunately, my sister doesn't really have a written recipe and neither does her mother-in-law, so I wrote down everything Cathy did.  When I tried to make it from my notes, it turned out really good.  Hope you can follow my directions and hope that your sauce turns out just as good.  My sister really is a good cook and I love her!  She's the best sister in the whole world.  Here's a picture of her cooking this delicious sauce.

Dora's Delicious Spaghetti Sauce

2 pounds lean ground beef
2 cans (14.5 oz.) stewed tomatoes
4 cans (6 oz.) tomato paste
2 cans (6 oz.) water (use the tomato paste cans)
2 - 3 large onions chopped (or use 2 (8 oz.) packages of chopped onion)
3 - 4 stalks of celery, chopped (or use 1 (6 oz.) package of chopped celery)
1 large bell pepper, chopped (or use 1 (8 oz.) package of chopped bell pepper)
Canola oil
2 - 3 Tablespoons minced garlic
Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder
1/4 cup of Sugar
Juice from 1/2 of a lemon

Pour canola oil to fill bottom of a large pot (about 1/4 to 1/2 cup) on a medium-high to high heat.  Add the 2 - 3 tablespoons of minced garlic, onion, bell pepper and celery and cook until soft and onions are transparent.

While the above is sauteing, season the ground beef with salt, pepper, garlic powder (lots of garlic powder), onion powder--don't be stingy, season well--and as my sister says, "Mush it all together".  Then all meat to onion mixture and let it brown. (My sister says to make the meat chunky, not little pieces.)

While browning the meat, open the cans.  Add the tomato paste and tomatoes to the mixture.  Again, Cathy says to "Mush" the stewed tomatoes into the mixture.  Add the lemon and bring to a boil.  Now you will need to heavily add more salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder.  HEAVY, HEAVY, HEAVY!  Especially the garlic powder--Cathy must have put in 1/4 to 1/2 cup.  Then add 1/4 cup sugar, bring to a boil again, stir and simmer for 2 1/2 hours, covered.
Here we are enjoying our delicious meal.  Thanks, Cat!

By the way, HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY!  Sorry I didn't post any cookout recipes.  I'll try to do better next year.  I'm thankful for all those men and women who have served and do serve today protecting our country and preserving our freedom.  God Bless America!

1 comment:

  1. i'm still combing through your posts.... keep up the good work.. I'm going to be making a lot of these on the 4th of July... Hi from Floria.. Megan

    ReplyDelete