Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Easy Hot Dog Chili

Last week the Young Single Adults had an activity at the Institute building.  We had hot dogs, then went caroling, and came back for hot chocolate and donuts.  Since we were having hot dogs, I decided to make some hot dog chili.  I wanted a chili that was quick and easy to make and of course, it had to taste good.  Everyone enjoyed it--I even saw a few just putting the chili on the bun without the hot dog.  So next time you serve hot dogs, make it special by making this chili.

Easy Hot Dog Chili

1 pound ground beef
1/3 cup water
2/3 cup tomato sauce
1/2 cup ketchup
2 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon (heaping) sugar
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
dash of Worcestershire sauce

In a large sauce pan put the water and ground beef.  Use a potato or avocado masher to break the meat apart while cooking.  When meat is browned, stir in tomato sauce, ketchup, chili powder, salt, pepper, sugar, onion powder and Worcestershire sauce.  Bring to a boil and cook over medium heat about 20 minutes until chili has thickened.

I doubled the recipe and put it in a small crock pot to keep the chili warm.  Everyone said it was really good chili.  I love keeping my Young Single Adults happy and full :-)

10 comments:

  1. I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR A GOOD HOT DOG SAUCE. THANKS TO YOU MY SEARCH IS OVER.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been married 20 years and have been looking for a good hot dog chili recipe this whole time. THIS IS IT......FINALLY! I have never cooked hamburger in water. I did not know how this would ever thicken up, but it did. My hubby liked it because it doesn't taste like chili beans and it didn't overpower the hot dog...Just nice and beefy....Thank you! This is now my hot dog chili recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm like you and this was the best hot dog chili I ever made. Glad you liked it too. It's definitely a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  4. amazing!thank u for sharing this deliscious recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't have tomato sauce so I used tomato paste it was great. I would also make a great sloppy joe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wanted a chili that was quick and easy to make and of course, it had to taste good. Everyone enjoyed it--I even saw a few just putting the chili on the bun without the hot dog. Lej en pølsevogn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it. Putting the chili on the bun sounds like my family :-)

      Delete
  7. This recipe sounds delicious. Can you tell me how many it feeds? I'm looking for something to serve about 50 people.. trying to figure out how many times to multiple this recipe. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would say about 10 - 15 people depending on how much they put on the hot dog. I would probably 4X the recipe. And remember, not everyone likes chili on their hot dog.

    ReplyDelete