Saturday, September 12, 2009

Grits

While at the wedding in Birmingham, I received a frantic call from my son in Charlotte. "Mom, how do you make your grits? It's not on your blog." So here is the way to make creamy, delicious grits.

I use Quaker Quick Grits. Do not use the instant grits. The most important thing to remember is that you use 4 times as much water as grits. So if you want 1 large serving of grits, you use 1 cup water and 1/4 cup grits. If you use 1/2 cup of grits, use 2 cups of water. I don't follow the directions on the package. Here is what I do:

Put the amount of grits you want and 4 times the water in a pot. Add a small pat of butter and add salt to taste. Mix together and let everything come to a boil. I will usually mix it a couple of times before it comes to a boil. When it boils, cover and turn heat to low and cook for 5 minutes. Don't peek! After 5 minutes, remove from stove, uncover and stir. After stirring, recover and let sit for 5 more minutes. Stir again and serve. I like to put butter on the top. My kids and grandkids love to put cheese on the top.
As you can see in these pictures, my granddaughter, McKinley, loves Nana's grits.

No comments:

Post a Comment