Monday, November 2, 2009

Roast Brisket Recipes

My mom taught me how to make delicious brisket. I also use this same recipe when I make a sirloin tip roast. There are no measurements to give you, just the ingredients. But you really don't have to measure--just put everything together and let it bake. This is definitely a family favorite that is requested when Nana comes to visit the grands.

Moma Toby's Brisket

Brisket Roast (about 3 pounds)
Onion (sliced)
Carrots (I use the peeled bagged baby carrots)
Potatoes (how ever many you think your family will eat)
Ketchup
Salt
Pepper
Garlic Powder

In a 9 x 13 pan, put a large sheet of aluminum foil--enough to bring up the sides to cover the roast. Put sliced onion on the bottom of pan. Place the roast on top of the onion. Put peeled potatoes and carrots around the roast. Sprinkle (I have a pretty heavy hand when I sprinkle) salt, pepper, and garlic powder over the roast, potatoes and carrots. Then put ketchup on top and rub all over the roast, potatoes and carrots. Add about 1/2 cup water (I usually pour it along the corners of the pan so it doesn't wash away the ketchup from everything). Cover (fold over the foil) and bake at 350 for about 45 minutes a pound.

**This is a great Sunday dinner. I usually start this before I go to church at 350 degrees for about 15 - 20 minutes and then turn it down to about 275/300 degrees and let it bake until I get back from church (about 3 1/2 hours). I always make gravy from the cooked juices by adding 1 - 2 teaspoons of gravy maker (Kitchen Bouquet) or add a packet of brown gravy sauce. Slice the roast (opposite the grain) and put back in the pan of gravy. I usually stick it back in the oven to keep it hot. Then I serve it with rice.


The other brisket recipe I have is my sister Cathy's recipe. It is a sweet and sour brisket. Cathy usually makes this when the family gets together because it serves a lot of people. I must confess, this brisket is out-of-this-world!

Cathy's Sweet and Sour Brisket

In a roaster pan, cut 2 - 3 large onions. Mix together 2 cups of ketchup and 2 cups of brown sugar. Set this sauce aside.

Season a 5 - 6 pound brisket with salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. Put brisket in pan on top of onions. Put carrots around pan.

Peel potatoes and put salt, pepper and ketchup all over them. Put potatoes around pan.

Put 1 cup of water in pan. Take sauce and pour on top of brisket. Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 350 for 4 hours.

Let cool. Slice brisket and put back in the gravy. You can darken the gravy with Kitchen Bouquet. Reheat before serving.
**My sister usually makes it the day before and heats it the next day before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment