Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Easy Cheesy Tuna Noodle Casserole

I found this recipe on a piece of paper, inside one of my cookbooks and decided to try it. I haven't had a tuna casserole in years. Well, this recipe was so easy (and cheesy) and it was made from scratch--didn't have to use my condensed soups. It was delicious! My husband really loved it! Can't wait to have the leftovers for lunch tomorrow. I'd better hide it so my husband won't eat it!

Easy Cheesy Tuna Noodle Casserole

12 ounces egg noodles or 8 ounces pasta (I used egg noodles)
2 - 3 cans of tuna (5 oz.), drained (I drained it and then put some lemon juice in it and drained it again. Helps get rid of the fishy taste)
1 onion, chopped
3 Tablespoons butter
2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups milk
1 teaspoon salt
pepper to taste
1 1/2 cups (6 oz.) shredded mozzarella cheese
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

In a large pot, cook the egg noodles or pasta according to package directions. Drain in strainer and set aside.

Using the now-empty pot your noodles were cooked in, melt the butter. Add onions and saute until tender. Stir in flour to make a thick paste. Add milk, salt, and pepper. Cook and stir until bubbly and slightly thickened. Remove from heat.

Add drained tuna to sauce and add cooked noodles or pasta, stirring to coat. Stir in mozzarella cheese.

Pour into a lightly greased 9 x 13 baking dish and top with the shredded cheddar cheese.
Bake uncovered at 350 degrees. Bake for 20 - 30 minutes until cheese is bubbly.

No comments:

Post a Comment