Thursday, October 8, 2009

Aunt Ruth's Savory Rice

Now I know I'm no Paula Deen, but I do have a much better Savory Rice recipe than the one I posted yesterday that came from Paula's cookbook--and it takes less time to make. My Aunt Ruth use to make this dish when we'd come visit her. She shared this recipe with me when I was a young girl and that was a long, long time ago. Now don't wait too long to make this. It is great with the Chicken Poupon Dijon, Nana's Grilled Chicken, Baked Ham--the list goes on.

Aunt Ruth's Savory Rice

1/2 stick butter
1 small onion chopped
1 small can mushrooms
1 can beef consomme soup
3/4 can of water
1 cup Uncle Ben's Converted Rice


In a medium pot, melt butter and saute the onions. Add the drained mushrooms and saute a couple of minutes more. Add the soup and using the soup can to measure the water, add the water. Let this come to a boil. Add the rice and let it come to a boil again. Then cover the pot, turn to burner to low and cook for 20 minutes. Don't peek! After 20 minutes, remove from burner and mix lightly, cover and let it sit for a few minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment