Thursday, October 15, 2009

Poor Man's Hash

When my children were young, I used to make a hamburger and rice casserole that they really loved. Hamburger was inexpensive back then, so we called it "Poor Man's Hash"--mainly because we were poor and it was a cheap dinner to make. I found the recipe a few weeks ago and decided to try it again. You know, it still makes a delicious meal. Next time I'm going to double it!

Poor Man's Hash

1 pound of hamburger
1 small onion chopped
1 small bell pepper chopped
1/2 cup uncooked white rice
1/2 - 1 teaspoon of chili powder
1 (16 oz) can of petite diced tomatoes
Salt and pepper to taste

Brown hamburger. Salt and pepper to taste. Add onion and bell pepper. Cook until onion and bell pepper are clear and cooked. Add tomatoes, rice, and chili powder. Mix together and put in a covered casserole dish. Bake at 325 for 1 hour and 15 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. When my kids were young, I made this. In fact, I thought I made it up. I called it Unstuffed Peppers because it has the same ingredients, but was a lot easier than making the real thing. Cheddar cheese melted on top is a good addition. I think I also put tomato sauce in it. Thanks for posting this. I'll have to make some. With just the kids gone, it'll make two good meals and probably, then some!

    ReplyDelete