Friday, August 21, 2009

Fresh Yellow Squash

If you read the sidebar about "What Is Nana's Recipe Box?", you know the story of the squash I made that my grandson loved. Well, here is how to make it. It's so simple and so good.
Fresh Yellow Squash
4 - 6 medium yellow squash
1 large onion, grated
Salt
Pepper
1 Tablespoon butter

Clean and wash yellow squash, slice and put in a pot. Cover with water and add salt (about 1 Tablespoon or more). Bring to a boil. Cover and cook about 30 minutes on medium-low until tender.

When tender, drain water from squash (I pour it into a colander) and return squash to pot. Add grated onion (I grate it right into the pot), and salt and pepper to taste. Cover and let squash continue to cook on low for about 10 - 15 minutes. Add butter (I use Smart Balance because my family is always thinking healthy) and let it simmer for a few more minutes. You can actually let it simmer until ready to serve.
**You can use frozen yellow squash, too, but I love to make fresh squash.

No comments:

Post a Comment