Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Crock Pot Veggie Chili

Every year at church we have a Chili Cook-Off. I usually make my Turkey Chili recipe, but every year I come home without a prize. So this year I decided to try something different. I made a veggie chili that I saw in Southern Living. It was absolutely delicious! No, I didn't win a prize (they let the youth judge and you know they hate vegetables), but my friend who was in charge of the cook-off said that I would always be a winner in her eyes and she handed me a handful of candy. I think she just felt sorry for me. But you won't be sorry when you make this delicious veggie chili.

Crock Pot Veggie Chili

1 cup diced carrots
1/2 - 1 cup diced celery
1 sweet onion, diced
Cooking spray or olive oil
1 large package sliced fresh mushrooms
1 - 2 zucchinis, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
1 yellow squash, chopped (about1 cup)
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon seasoned pepper
1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
3 cups tomato juice
1 (14 1/2 oz.) cans petite diced tomatoes, undrained
4 (15 oz.) cans pinto, black, kidney, or great Northern beans, rinsed and drained (I used one of each)
1 cup whole kernel corn (frozen or canned)
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons sugar (I also put 2 Tablespoons of brown sugar to cut that tomato taste)

Coat a large skillet with cooking spray or a small amount of olive oil. Saute the carrots, celery and onion over medium-high heat for about 10 minutes until onions are translucent. Add the mushroom, zucchini, and squash and saute for about 3 more minutes. Add the chili powder, basil and seasoned pepper and continue to saute for 5 more minutes. Set aside.

In a crock pot, stir together the tomato sauce and tomato juice. Add the diced tomatoes, beans, corn and vegetable mixture and mix together. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours. Salt and pepper to taste.

**I changed the recipe just a little bit from the one in
Southern Living, but it did say that you can freeze cooled leftovers for up to 2 months. Well, I never have any leftovers to freeze!

Oh, by the way, I tried to get a copy of the winning chili recipe, but they said they really didn't have a recipe. It was just made with lots of spice and lots of love. But I did find out the secret ingredient--------ELK! (He went to Montana to hunt for elk.) Do you believe that? It's just not fair. I don't think we have any elk in South Carolina. Now, how can I compete with that? :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment