Monday, March 1, 2010

Mexican Salad

Thinking about all the good things I use to make for my kids when they were young, I remembered making Mexican Salad (remember it, kids?). It was one of our favorites when they were growing up. Back then, I wasn't much of a Mexican food eater (I'm a Southern girl), but I loved this. And now that I think about it, it's not really a Mexican food--guess that's why I loved it so much. I got this recipe when we lived in California. Man, that was about 35 years ago. But it tastes just as good today as it did then.

Mexican Salad

1 pound of ground beef
1 onion, chopped
1 can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained

Brown ground beef, adding salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste. Add onions and cook until they are clear and soft. Drain any juices and add the kidney beans. Mix together and set aside.

In a large salad bowl, place the following ingredients:
Lettuce
Tomato
Avocado
Grated Cheese
Doritoes Nacho Cheese Corn Chips, crumbled up into medium pieces
Catalina Dressing (to your desired consistency)

Add the meat mixture and mix all together. Serve immediately.
Speaking of serving--my good friend, Lynn, gave me this beautiful strawberry bowl for my birthday. I just love it and couldn't wait to serve something in it. Now I know Mexican Salad doesn't go with a strawberry bowl, but I couldn't help myself. Isn't the bowl beautiful. Can't wait to make my strawberry, blueberry, poppy seed, bowtie pasta salad in it. Oh, that recipe will be posted later. So, keep visiting my blog. I've got lots of great recipes to share.

1 comment:

  1. Looks delicious Nancee! My aunt used to make this growing up - hers had garbanzo beans and thousand island dressing. We used to take it to the beach in seperate ziplocs and then mix it all together once we got there. Yum!

    ReplyDelete